Institute of Applied Health Sciences (IAHS) had a modest beginning in 13 May 1989 with 42 students. It continued to function as an Institute under University of Chittagong.
After the establishment of the University of Science and Technology Chittagong (USTC) was a Private University soon after the Private University Act 1992 came into force when IAHS became its constituent body under Faculty of Medicine. Janasheba Foundation was its sponsoring organization and National Professor Dr Nurul Islam was appointed President of USTC by Hon’ble Chancellor of the Universities and President of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh. Faculty of Medicine has been doing more than expectation and it is a matter of pride that has a large number of foreign students today.
Institute of Applied Health Sciences (IAHS) was accorded recognition by Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council on 12 July 1990 and Chittagong University allowed the students to be enrolled and appear in the first professional examination in 1991. Visit by several dignitaries from home and abroad enhanced the reputation of the organization.
Source of Fund
Over and above the donations received from some philanthropists and Anwara-Nur Welfare Trust, obligatory contributions by the guardians for development activities in addition to admission fee have been the financial resources of the institution so far.
In order to safeguard the interest and protect the project, the need for establishing a Trust (Foundation) was keenly felt. Janasheba Foundation was thus formed and registered with the Societies Act XXI of 1860 in 1991 with National Professor (Dr) Nurul Islam as its Founder Chairman. Activities of the Foundation include Community Health, Social Welfare and Technical Education. USTC is thus a logical outcome of this programme.Show More