Overview of Petro Mohyla Black Sea National University (PMBSNU) Mykolaiv Ukrain
Black Sea National University is one of the youngest higher education institutions in Ukraine. It is located on the place where in 1862 the Emperor's Decree established the Nikolaev port craft school. Since then, there have been educational institutions of various types.
The revival of ChNU is a part of the Renaissance of Ukrainian culture. Thus, on October 15, 1615, a noblewoman from Kyiv, Halshka Hulevychivna, presented her estate in Podil in Kyiv to the Ukrainian Brotherhood for the foundation of a monastery, a hospital and a school. Since then, this day has been the Foundation Day of the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy.
The Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, the first university in Eastern Europe, was founded by St. Peter Mohyla, a prominent figure in the Orthodox Church and a reformer of education.
Petro Mohyla (1596-1647) - a prominent religious, cultural and educational figure, one of the founders of the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy. During the Renaissance he formed the civil status of national languages, cared for education equal to the European. P. Mohyla's activity in the field of education was aimed at raising national self-consciousness.
The educational institution received the status of the Academy in 1658. Many prominent figures of Ukrainian science, culture, and religion emerged from its walls.
Later, in 1817, by the decision of the Holy Synod of the Russian Empire, the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy was closed. In 1819, the Kyiv Theological Academy was opened on the University premises, which lasted until 1918.