The University Grants Commission has released detailed guidelines for choosing to study two courses at the same time.
The University Grants Commission has issued detailed guidelines for those wishing to study two courses at the same time. In an official notice, the UGC has stated that since multiple Higher Education Institutions have set up open and distance learning courses, due to the increased demand for higher education and limited availability of seats in the regular stream, the commission has drafted certain guidelines.
Stating that the commission had taken into account the provisions of the NEP 2020, the UGC said, "The issue of allowing the students to pursue two academic programmes simultaneously has been examined by the Commission keeping in view the proposals envisaged in the National Education Policy - NEP 2020 which emphasizes the need to facilitate multiple pathways to learning involving both formal and non-formal education modes."
GUIDELINES ISSUED BY UGC
The UGC has released the following guidelines for students wishing to pursue two degrees simultaneously.
- A student can pursue two full-time academic programmes in physical mode on the condition that in such cases, class timings for one programme do not coincide with the class timings of the other programme.
- A student can pursue two academic programmes, one in full-time physical mode and another in Open and Distance Learning (ODL)/Online mode; or up to two ODL/Online programmes simultaneously.
- Degree or diploma programmes under ODL/Online mode shall be pursued with only such HEIs which are recognized by the UGC/Statutory Council/Govt. of India for running such programmes.
- Degree or diploma programmes under these guidelines shall be governed by the regulations notified by the UGC and also the respective statutory/professional councils, wherever applicable.
- These guidelines shall come into effect from the date of their notification by the UGC. No retrospective benefit can be claimed by the students who have already done two academic programmes simultaneously prior to the notification of these guidelines.
- The UGC has specified that these guidelines are applicable only for students who are studying for courses other than a PhD.