Homoeopathy is a holistic system of medicine which is based on treating the individual with highly diluted substances given in mainly tablet form, which triggers the body’s natural system of healing. Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery is an Undergraduate Academic Degree awarded for a course or program in the field of Homoeopathy. It is also known as B.H.M.S. which is an abbreviated form of Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery degree. The duration of B.H.M.S. is 5½ years which includes internship. Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery degree as a holistic alternative medicine degree provides basic and in depth knowledge of the Homoeopathic medicinal system. Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery can also be pursued through correspondence or through distance education program.
Some of the top Homoeopathic Medicine Schools are:
- Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College, Defence Colony – New Delhi,
- Smt. Chandaben Mohanbhai Patel Homoeopathic Medical College – Mumbai,
- Calcutta Homoeopathic Medical College – Calcutta.
The eligibility for the course is 10+2 with a minimum of 50% or equivalent level examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English. Admission to the B.H.M.S. is based on merit. In some states there is a joint entrance exam for B.H.M.S. along with the M.B.B.S. and B.D.S. tests. The Admission is based on performance of the candidate in written test which maybe followed by personal interview. Minimum age limit is 17 years.
Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery Subjects
- Materia Medica.
- Organon of Medicine.
- Physiology & Biochemistry.
- Community Medicine.
Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery Specialisations
- Homoeopathic Pharmacy.
- Skin Specialist.
- Infertility and Sex Specialist.
Who can and Who should pursue Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery
Candidates who have a keen interest in serving mankind should certainly join this course. Those who think that by becoming alternative medicine practitioners, they can promote natural health and be proficient in Homoeopathic remedies can also pursue this natural alternative medicine degree. People with good mental ability and an aptitude to think logically are well endowed to pursue B.H.M.S.
Advantages or Benefits of Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery Degree
- The candidate can pursue a Postgraduate Diploma in Homoeopathic Medicine & Surgery.
- Homoeopathic treatment is becoming popular world over and there are many job opportunities both in India and abroad. As such one can earn good amount of money while residing abroad.
- Homoeopaths can also start their own practice or open ones own retail shop of alternative medicine.
- Graduates or diploma holders of Homoeopathy can find employment in government and private sector as well.
Bachelor of Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery Jobs
A large number of people are unsatisfied with Allopathic treatment and are never fully cured. Therefore the demand for a natural and alternative healing treatment has increased many fold. Those looking for complete cure of their disease often turn to Homoeopathic Doctors. Moreover Homoeopathic medicine is considered to have no side effects. These factors have encouraged Homoeopaths to open up their own clinics and profiting from a medicine system which earlier wasn’t as reputed as it is now. Apart from this opportunities include in both private and public sector.
- Charitable Institutions.
- Homoeopathic Medicine Store.
- Medical Colleges.
- Research Institutes.
- State Dispensaries
- Training Institutes.
- Private Practice.
- Public Health Specialists.