Thus the Manipal College of Medical Sciences (MCOMS), affiliated to Kathmandu University was set up at Pokhara in 1994 with an MBBS program. It was the first private institution to establish a medical college in Nepal. Further to this, the 750 bed Manipal Teaching Hospital (MTH), Pokhara commenced in 1998. The college and hospital have been set up with modern facilities for modern education and health delivery.
Investment made by the Manipal Education & Medical Group:
A total investment of INR 40 billion has been made by the Manipal Group in MCOMS since its inception and it increases year after year in order to facilitate the steady growth of the institution.
Manipal is a conglomerate of educational institutions and hospitals (over 300,000 students and 7,000 hospital beds), and has established a fine reputation over the last five decades.
The venture has helped in the overall development of Nepal besides providing direct employment to a number of local people.
- Establishment of undergraduate medical degree program in 1994 with an annual intake of 100 admissions
- Affiliation with the Kathmandu University with effect from 31stDecember 1994
- Commencement of the 750-bedded Manipal Teaching Hospital in 1998
- Full and permanent recognition by the Nepal Medical Council on 6thAugust 1999
- Recognition by the Sri Lankan Medical Council on 24th August 1999
- Listing of college in the WHO directory of Accredited Medical Schools enabling the graduates appear for various international licensing exams e.g. USMLE, PLAB etc.
- Recognition by the British Columbia Student Assistance Program (BCSAP) and Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), Canada
- Recognition of the MBBS degree by the Government of India under Section 12(2) of the IMC Act 1956 on 26th September 2001
- Establishment of postgraduate degree programs in Pathology (MD) and other Basic Sciences (MSc) subjects in 2000
- Commencement of allied health sciences (BMLT & BMIT) degree programmes in 2001
- Increase of the annual intake from 100 to 150 in respect of the undergraduate medical degree program (MBBS) in August 2003 split into two batches of 75 each commencing in August and February each year
- Extension of the postgraduate degree programme to Internal Medicine (MD) in 2005
- Extension of the postgraduate degree program to all other disciplines in 2007-2008
- BSc Nursing program commenced with 20 seats in August 2009, enhanced to 30 subsequently
- Merger of the August and February intakes of 75 into one batch of 150 with effect from 1st August 2010.
- Commencement of DM (Cardiology) program in Feb 2013
- Addition of a number of ultra-modern speciality services including NICU, Neuro Surgery, Linear Accelerator, Spiral CT Scan, MRI etc. in the Manipal Teaching Hospital and continuous upgradation of existing hospital services which include addition of latest equipments e.g. Phaco in the Ophthalmology dept, ICU’s equipped with Ventilators and Monitors etc.
- No capitation fee – a remarkable achievement in the field of medical education
- International Students and Faculty Members at the Campus – Since its inception the college has been attracting international students and the number is increasing every year in view of the global teaching standards employed at MCOMS. The college has also been successful in attracting international faculty members.
- A large number of graduates are placed at various prominent international health care institutions after passing out the international medical licensing exams e.g. USMLE & PLAB with scores up to 99%.
Affiliations, Recognition & Accreditation
Affiliations & Recognition
- An institution of the Manipal Education and Medical Group (MEMG), Nepal
- Affiliated to the Kathmandu University, Dhulikhel, Nepal
- Accorded recognition by the Nepal Medical Council
- Listed in the 7th Edition of the WHO Directory of Medical Schools
- Recognized by the British Columbia Student Assistance Program (BCSAP), Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP), Canada and many other such recognitions/listings on as and when basis
As the college is listed in the 7th edition of the WHO’s World Directory of Accredited Medical Schools, the International Medical Education Directory of Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), which holds the United States Medical Licensing Examinations, recognizes the MBBS degree awarded by MCOMS.
Established in 1994, first batch graduated in 1999. Since then every year one/two batches have graduated. Most of the students have passed their postgraduate entrance exams / various international exams i.e., Medical Council Exams of USA (USMLE), UK (PLAB), Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka (Act XVI / ERPM) with commendable scores.
Admission Process of
Manipal College of Medical Sciences (MCOMS)
2018 Batch MBBS Admissions – International Candidates (i.e. non-Nepalese nationals)
Annual Intake: The college admits approx. 100 students per year in the MBBS program, each year.
Application: International admissions for the 32nd Batch of the MBBS program, commencing in 2018, are open. Please fill up the online MBBS application form at www.manipal.edu.np and submit the following altogether vide an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org at the earliest, but within the last date of application submission specified at this MCOMS website:
– A multipage PDF (legible and printable), named as your above application no, and containing the following:
a) Scan of the duly filled and signed Application Form (after pasting photograph) – you would need to print the application form from the MCOMS website, after filling the same online
b) XIIth / A Level mark sheet (copy of the board issued mark sheet / transcript – NOT the internet printouts)
c) Xth / O Level mark sheet (copy of the board issued mark sheet / transcript)
d) Passport’s page showing name and nationality (Voter ID or Aadhar may be accepted provisionally, however copy of the passport would need to be mandatorily submitted on admission)
e) NEET/SAT score sheet of the present academic year, wherever applicable
– Another PDF, named as your name, containing bank advise of wire transfer of the Application Fee, as under
a) Indian Rs One Thousand Five Hundred Only (for the Indian national applicants)
b) US$ One Hundred (for all other international applicants)
Please note that the application form must be filled online at the MCOMS website and submitted with all the above listed documents only through e-mail at the above college e-mail ID (hard copies received via courier will NOT be considered).
Processing of Application: Applications received in the e-mail are processed for completeness, adequacy and minimum eligibility requirements based on the marks obtained in the qualifying examination. Applications received without the above listed PDF documents (i.e. two PDFs of application form with certificates and application fee bank advise) would be rejected forthwith without any further correspondence. However, receiving of all complete applications would be acknowledged vide a return e-mail (kindly use a single email ID for all correspondences with regard to your application submission and its status thereafter and always quote your application no in the e-mails).
Provisional Admission: Applicants who have an acceptable NEET / SAT score of the present academic year may be considered for provisional admission, depending on merit. Applicants accepted based on NEET / SAT may not be required to undertake the Kathmandu University / Govt of Nepal’s entrance exam.
Entrance Exam: Kathmandu University / Govt of Nepal would conduct an offline entrance exam sometime in Jul/Aug and admissions would be based on a merit of the entrance exam score, with possibly certain weightage to the XIIth/A Level marks. Applicants are advised to prepare themselves and keep in touch with the MCOMS website for the entrance exam registration form, date and venue of the entrance exam, sample questions and other relevant details.
Criteria for Eligibility
Eligibility Requirements (XIIth/A Level or other equivalent qualifying examination marks)
- At least 50% marks in Physics (P), Chemistry(C), Biology (B) and English (E) and a minimum aggregate of 50% marks at the XIIth/A Level or equivalent examination (which, in general, corresponds to minimum ‘C’ grades for Sri Lankan and ‘D’ grades for International boards e.g. EDEXCEL/Cambridge etc.)
- If English is not opted at the ‘A’ Level, then at least 50% marks in English at ’O’ Level or equivalent examination
- NEET / SAT score sheet of the present academic year must be provided, wherever applicable
- TOEFL / IELTS is not required
PS: Admission will be subject to the Kathmandu University norms and qualifying an entrance exam conducted by the Kathmandu University, for which all applicants are advised to prepare themselves (applicants with NEET/SAT 2018 acceptable scores may not be required to undertake the entrance exam).
Manipal Medical College Fees Structure 2018
|INSTALLMENT *||Indian Nationals||Other International|
* Installments are payable at the beginning of each year.
Miscellaneous Fee (in Nepali Rs): The tuition fee does not include following:
|Internship Fee (one time, given back as stipend)||Rs2,00,000/-|
|Affiliation Fee (one time, payable to University)||Rs1,32,000/-|
|Refundable Caution Deposit (one time)||Rs1,00,000/-|
|Refundable Mess Deposit (one time)||Rs10,000/-|
|Kathmandu University Regd Fee (one time)||Rs22,500/- (SAARC), Rs30,000/- (Foreign)|
|Nepal Medical Council Fee (one time)||Rs3,000/-|
|Ministry of Education Fee (one time)||Rs1,000/-|
|Hostel Fee||Rs50,000/- per annum( Double Occupancy) or
|Mess Fee||Rs80,000/- advance against monthly mess bills of approx. Rs6,000/- monthly and balance to be adjusted against electricity and other miscellaneous charges|
|Annual Medicare Premium||Rs4,000/- (it covers hospital facilities worth Rs95,000/-p.a.)|
|Internal Examination Fee||Rs25,000/- per annum|
|Kathmandu University Examination Fee||As per University norms, payable on University exams|
Total Misc payables, on admission: Students opting hostel with double occupancy will have to pay Nepali Rs.6,50,000/- and those opting for single occupancy (subject to availability) will have to pay Nepali Rs.7,00,000/- to cover up for all above as well as other miscellaneous expenses of first year. Surplus/dues gets adjusted in the second year installment, invoice for which is sent one month before commencement of the second year.