The Holy Family Red Crescent Medical College started its journey in the academic year 1999-2000 with active inspiration of the then Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina. The then Health Minister Sheikh Fazlul Karim Salim MP, Chairman, Bangladesh Red Crescent Society Sheikh Kabir Hossain and all the Doctors and Staffs working in Holy Family Red Crescent Medical College Hospital under the leadership of Professor Dr. Md. Maniruzzaman Bhuiyan contributed tremendously to establish the College.
The Holy Family Red Crescent Medical College is a project of Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS) and is run by a Governing Body duly formed by the representatives of sponsor organization Bangladesh Red Crescent Society (BDRCS), representatives from Dhaka University and Government of Bangladesh.
The College follows the course curriculum of MBBS course as laid down by Dhaka University and Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council. Government of Bangladesh regulates the criteria of qualification of students and Dhaka University conducts the professional examinations and certificates of MBBS degree are awarded by them.
It started its journey with 50 students in the academic year 1999-2000. Presently we have 719 students and 145 students are admitted per academic session including up to a maximum of 50% foreign students. Eight batches of students have already qualified as doctors and four batches have completed their internship training and one batch is undergoing internship training in Holy Family Red Crescent Medical College Hospital (HFRCMCH) which is a tertiary care Hospital established in the year 1953 with 690 beds and delivering clinical services in all departments of medical science.
The Holy Family Red Crescent Medical College and Hospital is located in a quiet and serene environment in the heart of Dhaka city at 1, Eskaton Garden Road, Dhaka-1000 on 8.10 acres of land. The construction of the new modern six storied academic building covering an enormous area of one lac twenty three thousand square feet with all modern amenities is already completed and academic activities have been started in the mean time.
Since its establishment in the year 2000, Holy Family Red Crescent Medical College has come a long way in last 17 years and achieved great reputation amongst the non-government medical colleges in the country. We have adequate qualified teaching staff and modern teaching aids like computers, multimedia and overhead projectors for effective delivery of lectures. This medical college has a full fledged library with sufficient text and reference books and journals. The library has high speed internet facilities with HINARI access. This institute is listed in database of AVICENNA (Former WHO medical directory). Holy Family Red Crescent Medical College is registered with FAIMER International Medical Education Directory-IMED. American Medical Council recently recognized MBBS Course completed form our Medical College. MRCP Part-I Orientation Course has been started in our Medical College in the mean time. Our College is also a centre for FCPS Part-II Examination. Our vision is to lead this institution into a Centre of Excellence for medical education, training and service.
MESSAGE FROM THE DESK OF PRINCIPAL
It is my great pleasure to let you know the facts that I was one of the pioneers in establishing this Holy Family Red Crescent Medical College with the direct support & help from the then Chairman of BDRCS & the Prime Minister (the then Prime Minister also) the defender of democracy- Janonetri Sk.Hasina in the year 2000. I was the founder Vice Principal of this College.
With the passage of time, the number of students of this institution has increased. The College face tremendous pressure during admission as it has attained its name and fame within this short time.
The College has well qualified experienced pool of teachers. The authority is constantly trying to recruit new qualified and talented teachers. With the introduction of new curriculum, teaching has become intensive and studies have to be maintained on a regular basis. This creates a big pressure on the students. So, my suggestion for them is that they must work hard to cope with this new curriculum on daily basis to complete the medical course perfectly.
The first batch of students in our Medical College set the record of achieving highest percentage of pass in the 1st Professional MBBS examination under Dhaka University with the quality teaching by our dedicated Faculty Members and cooperation of all. In continuation of the same, we are committed to the establish international standard of Medical Education here. In the mean time, we starterd MRCP Part-I Orientation Course and FCPS Part-II examination centre in our Medical College. We have plan to start Postgraduate Academic Courses soon.
It is my pleasure to let you know that American Medical Council recently confirmed recognisation to the MBBS Course completed from our Medical College.
When a student decides to study medicine to be a doctor he or she should be both physically and mentally prepared to work hard. The knowledge of medical sciences are expanding day by day, so my advise to them is to upgrade their knowledge by using internet facilities available in the College library.
I would like to give assurance to the prospective students of this College that we shall make every effort to provide quality education so that they not only become good doctors but good human being too.
Instructions for the students (College rules)
1. All students are to attend classes in clean well dressed white Apron.
2. All students are to carry their ‘Identity Cards’ when in the college.
3. Rings, bangles are discouraged as they cause impediments to practical work.
4. Fashionable dresses, untidy hair, slippers are discouraged in the college campus.
5. Environment is to be kept clean. Students should throw litters in to waste paper basket.
6. Pasting of posters on the walls of the college and the hospital buildings and or hanging of posters in the college and in the hospital premises are prohibited unless permitted by authority. These are considered as acts of indiscipline and offenders are liable to punishment.
7. Smoking is forbidden in the college campus.
8. All type of demonstrations, processions, shouting in the college and hospital premises are prohibited and students involved are liable to be expelled from the college.
9. Abstentions from classes individually or in group or in a mass without prior information/without valid reasons are punishable by imposition of daily fine of Tk. 500/- individually, Guardians will be informed of such acts.
10. Students will state their problems/grievances/inconveniences to their Teacher Guide. The Guide will solve the problems of the students himself/herself or refer them to the principal. Statement of the problems/grievances/inconveniences by the students must be in a orderly and disciplined manner. Any act of indiscipline on the part of any student including usage of abusive words or objectionable words and sentences, will make the students liable to be punished by expulsion from the collage.
11. Student must not misbehave with the staff or employees of the college or the hospital. Acts of misbehavior are also acts of indiscipline and liable for punishment.
12. The Students are expected to maintain the highest standard in their academic activities. Smoking or any sort of addiction is strictly prohibited in the campus.
13. At the time of admission into the college the students and parents/guardians will have to sign a bond that their children/wards will abide by the rules and regulations of the college.
14. Every student shall provide for himself/herself all the prescribed Text books, dissecting instruments, medical equipment’s etc. The college will not supply these to the students.
15. In case of illness or other unavoidable reasons for non attendance, a written statement from the parent/guardian is to be presented to the teachers concerned, who in turn will submit it to the Principal for approval.
16. Cost of loss, damage to college/hospital property is liable to be realized from the student found responsible for the loss, damage.
17. Political activities are not permitted in the college.
18. Students are allowed to use the Library. They will seat and read. Books will be issued to the students only for reading in the Library. Home issue for the students is not permitted.
19. Students should have minimum of 75% attendance to qualify to sit for assessment examinations.
20. All students must fulfill the criteria laid down by Dhaka University and BMDC and clear all their dues before being permitted to sit for professional examinations.
21. All students who have passed MBBS are to undergo one year Internship Training (Hospital training) as per rules and regulations of BMDC(Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council).
For any quariy related MBBS/BDS/MD admission in Bangladesh contact us:
#53, Akanti Villa, GMC Hostel Rd,
Christian Basti, Guwahati – 781005