Overview of Nepal Medical College Teaching Hospital
Nepal Medical College Teaching Hospital (NMCTH) are major healthcare with 700 bedded institution in Kathmandu, Nepal established in 1997 by Late Dr Sachey Kumar Pahari. NMC provides medical care and provides medical education in Nepal. NMC also carries out scientific research. Nepal Medical College is located in Jorpati, Kathmandu.
Nepal Medical College (NMC) is situated at Attarkhel of Jorpati Village Development Committee, in Kathmandu, about 11 km. northeast of Kathmandu city. It lies at the foothill of a mound. It has a quiet and tranquil environment, required of a medical college and a teaching hospital. The Gokarna hillock with pine trees, about half a kilometre away on the north, the Gokarna Safari Park across Bagmati river about one kilometre in the east, the terraces with trees encircling the NMC campus on the west, the NMC campus which comprises the college and Nepal Medical College Teaching Hospital (NMCTH), has to access to the main road through its main entrance on the southwest.
The NMC campus houses the academic buildings, library, female student and male student hostels and Nepal Medical College Teaching Hospital (NMCTH). The college has departments of Clinical Biochemistry, Clinical pharmacology, Clinical Physiology, Community Medicine, Forensic Medicine, Human Anatomy, Medical Microbiology and Pathology that are required for the first two academic years of the MBBS curriculum. The departments of Anesthesiology, Dental, Dermatology, Emergency, Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Otorhinolaryngology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Radiology and Surgery undertake the teaching of medical students in their respective wards and outpatients departments during the rest of the period of four and a half year MBBS program in addition to providing health care services to patients from their departments at NMCTH on all working days.
A full-fledged clinical health laboratory, radiology, operation theatres and casualty services, ICU, CCU, NICU, Haemodialysis service, ambulance service provide round the clock health care service. Echocardiography, Holter, TMT, Gastroendoscopy, Colonoscopy, Bronchoscopy, Ultrasonography and Pulmonary Function Test facilities are available on a regular basis. Specific investigations related to Biochemistry, Hematology, Microbiology and Pathology are available at the respective departments that are well manned and equipped for carrying out academic, research and health services.
Regular microbus services plying on different routes and connect NMC with other parts of the city together with taxis which are available for the transport of patients to and from NMCTH from the early dawn to late at night.
The objectives of Nepal Medical College are:
- Conduct undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate levels of medical education programs by embarking upon the latest trends in medical education.
- Undertake undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate levels of programs in different disciplines of Health Sciences education.
- Provide quality tertiary health care services from Nepal Medical College Teaching Hospital and Sub-specialty Health Care and Research Centers.
- Provide general health services from community satellite health centres.
- Conduct continuing education programs.
- Carry out biomedical, sociocultural and epidemiological scientific research.
- Improve the health status of the people of Nepal by bringing in an impact on the health profile of the district where it is established and the country as a whole.
- Develop links with national and international universities/ institutions/ colleges/ hospitals/ organizations/ societies/ clubs/ foundations/ philanthropists and individuals in relation to conducting undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate levels of academic programs/ providing health care/ performing research/ exchanging faculty/ developing infrastructure/ acquiring equipment/ collecting endowments/ exchanging students / providing social services and overall achievement for the development and progress of Medical and Health Sciences Education and Health Care Service in Nepal.
- Become a self-reliant academic institution of par excellence for the graduate, post-graduate and doctoral level studies in Medical and Health Sciences Education and attain the status of a deemed technical university of medical and health sciences of international repute.