Saurashtra University, Rajkot
M.P Shah Government Medical College (MPSGMC) is a public Medical college located in Jamnagar, Gujarat, India. "M.P Shah Government Medical College" offers 5 years MBBS course approved by MCI. Affiliated by Saurashtra University, Rajkot, recognized by MCI, Govt. Of India.
G.G. Hospital (the academic medical center associated with M.P. Shah Medical College) was inaugurated by Lord Irwin in 1927. In 1933, during the rule of Jam Digvijaysinhji, Irwin Hospital was expanded, with the addition of specialty departments. Shri Abdul Karim Jamal started a dispensary opposite Irwin Hospital (A. K. Jamal Dispensary) and the Sarmatwala dispensary was started during this period. All these dispensaries including the city dispensary were merged with G.G Hospital — hence the name G.G. Hospitals.
In 1954, M. P. Shah Medical College came into existence and Irwin hospital was affiliated with it. In 2000, on the eve of the 300th birthday anniversary of Lord Guru Gobind Singh — as one of his five disciples (Punj Pyare), Mokam Singh, who got established at Bat Dwarka — Gujarat government renamed the Irwin Group of Hospitals as Guru Gobind Singh Hospital.
Dr. Dadabhai and Dr. Kalyaniwala Khandbahadur were the first heads of Irwin Group of Hospitals. Dr. Ruks Thomas (FRCS) was appointed as the first surgeon general in 1927. Dr. Pranjivan Manekchand Mehta was his successor. At the establishment of M.P. Shah Medical College in 1954, Dr. P. C. Rakshit took over from Dr. P. M. Mehta as the first dean and medical superintendent. At present Dr. Pankaj Buch is medical superintendent of G.G. Hospital.