University of Dhaka
BMDC, DCI, WHO
Mymensingh Medical College is a postgraduate government medical college conducting MBBS, BDS and postgraduate courses in 27 disciplines under Dhaka University and Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU). Every year 197 students are admitted in MBBS and 52 in BDS courses of which 10% are foreign students and total of 138 students are admitted in different postgraduate courses.
It was started in 1924 in Baghmara as “Lytton Medical School”, according to the name of the then Governor of Bengal Mr. Lytton. The medical school had conducted Licentiate of Medical Faculty (LMF) till 1962. Mymensingh Medical College was named in 1962, which started conducting MBBS course with 32 students as the 1st batch (M 01). Mymensingh Medical Journal is the official journal of Mymensingh Medical College which is an Index Medicus / MEDLINE enlisted journal.
The campus shifted to Charpara in 1972 on a total of 84 acres of land.
A four storied College building was built with 18,000 sq.m. of floor area. The Hospital building is adjacent to the college building. The hospital is spread over an area of 58 acres of land (additional 5.7 acres for S. K. hospital). The total capacity of Mymensingh Medical College Hospital is 1000 beds.
Preclinical & Para-clinical disciplines are in College building and clinical disciplines are in Hospital building.
In addition to MBBS and BDS courses, Postgraduate courses are running in 27 disciplines under Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) and Dhaka University. Among the post graduate courses, MD residency in five disciplines, MS residency in four disciplines, MPhil in five disciplines and Diploma in ten disciplines. The admissions of undergraduate (MBBS & BDS) courses are conducted by DGHS and postgraduate courses are conducted by BSMMU.