B.A.M.S. or Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery is an undergraduate Ayurvedic courses which is awarded after successful completion of a five and a half years program or course that covers the study of the integrated system of modern medicine and traditional ayurveda. The full 5½ years duration of the degree includes one year of internship also. The degree course covers the study of modern anatomy, physiology, principles of medicine, social and preventive medicine, pharmacology, toxicology, forensic medicine, botany, ENT, principles of surgery, etc. along with ayurvedic topics. Ayurvedacharya recognition is given to the recipient of a Bachelor’s Degree of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery (B.A.M.S) and the degree holders can use the title Vaidyar before their name (abbreviated as Vr).
- The basic eligibility criteria for pursuing a B.A.M.S. (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery) degree is qualifying 10+2 or equivalent examination, with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and preferably Sanskrit as subjects studied, along with a reasonably high percentage of marks in the aggregate and clearing the different national and state level entrance exams such as:
- All India Pre-Medical/Pre-Dental Entrance Exam (AIPMT) conducted by Central Board of Secondary Examination (CBSE), Delhi on a national level.
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER) Entrance Exam.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Entrance Exam.
- Selection to the B.A.M.S. (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery) degree course is based on marks secured in the final merit i.e. total marks aggregated in the final exams of 10+2 and the entrance exam.
Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine Surgery Syllabus
Syllabus of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery as prescribed by various Universities and Colleges.
|Sr. No.||Subjects of Study|
|First Professional (one and half year)|
|1||History of Ayurveda|
|2||Sanskrit and Samhita|
|3||Padartha Vigyana (Ayurvedic philosophy)|
|5||Rachna Sharira (anatomy)|
|4||Kriya Sharira (physiology)|
|Second Professional (one and half year)|
|1||Rasa Shastra avam Bhaisajya Kalpana (Pharmaceuticals of Ayurveda)|
|2||Dravyaguna (Materia Medica of Ayurveda)|
|3||Agadtantra, VyavaharAyurveda and Vidhi Vaidyaka (Toxicology and Jurisprudence)|
|5||Nidan/Vikriti Vigyana (Pathology) /Nadi Parkisa (Pulse diagnosis)|
|4||Svasthavritta Yoga (Personal and social hygiene including dietetics)|
|5||Charaka Samhita (A classical text of Ayurveda)|
|Final Professional (one and half year)|
|1||Kaya Chikitsa (General Medicine including Panchakarma, Rasayana and Vajikarana)|
|2||Shalya tantra (General surgery and parasurgical techniques)|
|3||Shalakya tantra (ENT, Eye and Dentistry)|
|5||Prasuti tantra avam Stri roga (Gynaecology and Obstetrics)|
|4||Kaumara bhritya (Paediatrics)|
Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery Colleges
- Shri Dhanwantry Ayurvedic College and Hospital, Chandigarh
- Government Ayurvedic College and Hospital, Gwalior
- Indian Institute of Ayurvedic Medicine and Research, Bangalore
- Dayanand Ayurvedic College, Jalandhar
Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery Course Suitability
- They should have strong power of concentration, self-confidence, responsibility and caring nature.
- They also possess good communication and counselling skills and ability to make pivotal decisions after weighing up relevant factors.
- Applicants willing for having further Master Degree or then after that for research work can for this course.
How is Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery Course Beneficial?
- B.A.M.S. (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery) degree is widely acclaimed throughout India, as Ayurveda has its origin in the country.
- More and more pharmaceutical companies are employing ayurveda experts for the new researches in ayurvedic medicines.
- Since Ayurvedic medicines are prepared from natural herbs, fruits, vegetable and minerals, so there are no side effects. This advantage of Ayurvedic treatment is gaining international acceptance resulting in more people from abroad coming to the country for ayurvedic treatment which in fact has considerably increased the demand for the Ayurveda experts or the Ayurvedic doctors.
Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery Employment Areas
- Healthcare Community
- Clinical Trials
- Healthcare IT
- On Duty Doctor
- Life Sciences Industry
- Pharma Industry
Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery Job Types
- Category Manager
- Medical Representative
- Business Development Officer
- Ayurvedic Doctor
- Sales Representative
- Area Sales Executive/Manager
- Product Manager
- Assistant Claims Manager
- Jr. Clinical Trial Coordinator
After completing B.A.M.S. you can become: