Bachelor of Science Honours in Nursing
|Eligibility:||10+2 or an equivalent examination|
B.Sc. Hons. Nursing or Bachelor of Science Honours in Nursing is an undergraduate Nursing course. Nursing is a healthcare profession focused on the care of individuals, families, and communities so they may attain, maintain, or recover optimal health and quality of life from conception to death. The duration of Bachelor of Science Honours in Nursing is ranging from one academic year to three but it varies from institute to institute. The All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Delhi is providing in four year. The minimum time to complete the course is also differentiating from institute to institute. The course may also be available on part time basis in some certain institutes. The syllabus for the course is divided into eight semesters of four years having two semesters each year. The course is very valuable, important and job orienting in nature that opens many career scopes for the candidates after its completion.
B.Sc. Hons. Nursing Eligibility
- The minimum educational requirements shall be the passing of Senior Secondary school certificate examination (10+2), 10th class or Central Board of Secondary Education or a recognized equivalent public examination. Subjects of study must be equivalent to those prescribed by the CBSE for the class 12th with minimum 45 percent marks.
- Admission is subjected to satisfactory medical examination report.
- The marks of admission for this course may vary from institute to institute.
- In various colleges it conducts entrance exams plus interview and percentage of 12th class for the admission of students.
B.Sc. Hons. Nursing Syllabus
Syllabus of Hons. Nursing as prescribed by various Universities and Colleges.
|Sr. No.||Subjects of Study|
|5||Fundamentals of Nursing, First aid with applied Sciences and Pharmacology|
|6||Introduction to community health|
|8||Introduction to medical surgical nursing|
|10||Hindi (For non-Hindi speaking students)|
|1||Med. Surg. Nursing|
|i ) Orthopaedics|
|iii) Skin & Communicable diseases|
|vi) General Med. Surg.|
|vii) Applied pharmacology|
|5||Health Education & A.V. Aids.|
|1||Med. Surg. Nursing (speciality nursing) ICU|
|2||Paediatric Nursing & Growth & Development|
|3||Public Health Nursing|
|5||Sociology & Social Medicine|
|6||Trends in Nursing & Professional adjustment|
|1||Midwifery & Obstetrical Nursing|
|2||Principles of administration & supervision|
|3||Elective-Introduction to Research and statistics|
|(i) Total study hours per week shall be 40. During each academic year, students shall spend the available remaining hours besides theory instruction in the specified clinical areas as per rotation postings.|
|(ii) During summer vacation period the student shall spend 4 weeks in the clinical areas as per rotation posting.|
|(iii) Students shall be posted for Evening and Night duties after III year exams during summer vacation.|
|(iv) Elective posting (100 hours): During the IV year at the time of elective posting, students shall do a project in the clinical area of their choice in nursing or related field.|
B.Sc. Hons. Nursing Colleges
- University of Delhi – DU, Delhi
- School of Nursing Kolkata (Nursing Training School), Kolkata
- ITM University – Gwalior, Gwalior
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences – AIIMS Bhubaneswar, Bhubaneswar
B.Sc. Hons. Nursing Course Suitability
- The nursing profession calls for tremendous patience, responsibility and dedication. The job requires alertness of mind, team spirit, tact, compassion etc.
- Those who have the instinct to help and serve the patient without getting sentimentally attached.
- Apart from these entire one must have a pleasant smiling face whatever be the situation.
- Those who are willing to go for teaching fields at higher degree level i.e. college and university level both in private and government institutions.
How is B.Sc. Hons. Nursing Course Beneficial?
- They can go for military nursing jobs that provide health care services in armed forces.
- They can become psychiatric nursing that involves working with patients suffering from emotional and psychological distress. Nursing these patients requires devotion and patience. They generally work in coordination with the psychiatrists, doctors and other specialists.
- This degree course enables the students to go for various nursing, midwifery.
- One can go for higher degree program in respective subjects.
B.Sc. Hons. Nursing Employment Areas
- Nursing Science Schools
- Research & Educatoional Institutes
- Defence Services (hospitals)
- Industrial Houses
- Clinics/Heath Departments
B.Sc. Hons. Nursing Job Types
- Practical Nursing Instructor
- Nursing Assistant
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Assistant Director – Nursing (Nights)
- Nursing Instructor – Adjunct
- Associate Dean – Nursing and Allied Health
- Nursing Assistant – Medical Telemetry
- Manager – Nursing Critical Care
Advance Courses in B.Sc. Hons. Nursing
- M.Sc. (Nursing)
- M.Phil. (Nursing)
- Ph.D. (Nursing)
After completing B.Sc. (Hons.) (Nursing) you can become: