Architecture is a field which is involved with the design and construction of buildings in their sociological, technical and environmental contexts. Bachelor of Architecture is an Undergraduate Academic Degree awarded for a course or program in the field of Architecture. The duration of Bachelor of Architecture degree spans over a period of 5 years. The curriculum is structured for 5 years and is divided into 2 stages. The 1st stage consists of 3 years of full time study followed by practical training in professional offices or at construction sites for 20 weeks. The 2nd stage consists of full time study for one and a half year, whereby each student is required to write a research based dissertation, prepare for a seminar and present a design thesis along with the advanced level of compulsory and elective theory courses. The apprenticeship (generally for one semester) has to be done under a practising architect. It is also known as B.Arch. which is an abbreviated form of the Architecture Degree. Bachelor of Architecture Course provides a high level of contextual excellence in architectural design. Both theory and studio exercises are viewed as the core of the programme with crucial inputs being provided by experts specializing in the fields of arts, humanities, engineering and technology, and professional practice of architecture. Students acquire multi-disciplinary enabling skills related to space, construction environments and aesthetics. They also acquire skills which include drawing, architectural presentation, research and writing, computer applications, technical and managerial aptitudes in problem definition and solution seeking.
Candidates with 50-55% marks (Science) in their 12th standard examination are eligible to apply for the course. They should also qualify any of the entrance examinations like All India Engineering Entrance Examination or AIEEE conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) or the National Aptitude Test in Architecture conducted by the National Institute of Advanced Studies and Architecture. Students with excellent drawing abilities, clarity of thought, creativity, strong aesthetic sense and social awareness are likely to get through. Selection to architecture courses at the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT’s) is through the national level Joint Entrance Examination (JEE). Private institutes conduct their own entrance exams. Various Universities and states also conduct separate entrance exams for admission to their architecture and engineering colleges.
Bachelor of Architecture Subjects
- History of Architecture.
- Interior Design.
- Urban Economics and Sociology.
Bachelor of Architecture Specialisations
- Green Architecture.
- Landscape Architecture.
- Museum Architecture.
- Naval Architecture.
- Theatre Architecture.
Who can and Who should pursue Bachelor of Architecture Degree
Bachelor of Architecture is meant especially for those gifted with designing talent. Those who don’t have it can acquire it through practice and expert advice. A person also needs to develop a business sense, social awareness and legal knowledge. Architecture is best suited for those who are not only fascinated with buildings but who view building from an architectural point of view. Passion accompanied by proper education can make on a successful Architecture. In modern times, Computer literacy is also needed for writing specifications, two- and three-dimensional drafting, and financial management. Knowledge of CADD is also essential.
Advantages or Benefits of Bachelor of Architecture Degree
- Architecture is increasingly being recognised as as one of the top intellectual disciplines, an art form, and a technical profession intimately linked with the single largest sector of investment in the economy.
- Architects are always required to design and execute building projects and resolve other issues related to the man-made environment in a variety of settings.
- In the current scenario there is a need to utilise building space in the best possible way without wasting any space. This requires the expert services of Architects.
- Architecture is a profession which showcases one’s artistic talent. It is a perfect platform for those who want fame and name as it gives both.
Bachelor of Arts Jobs
As demand for commercial space increases, there is a need for non residential construction. In recent years, some architecture firms have outsourced the drafting of construction documents and basic design for large-scale commercial and residential projects to architecture firms overseas. These factors make Architecture a lucrative job.
- Public Works Department (PWD).
- Department of Railways.
- Department of Post and Telegraph.
- National Building Organization.
- Town and Country Planning Organization.
- National Institutes of Urban Affairs.
- Housing and Urban Development Corporations.
- Architecture and Building Development Firms.
- Private Construction Organizations.
- Architectural Technician.
- Architectural theoretician.
- Architectural conservator.
- Architectural engineer.
- Architectural technologist.
- Architecture Professor.
- Architecture Critic.
- Architecture Photographer.
- Building Control Officer.
- Building inspector.